14 May 2018
Is May the best month of the year? Yes, it actually is for most, especially if you live in Indianapolis. May means flowers, cookouts, race cars, and quality time with mom. It also means school is out (for most). May is also a time for some serious yard work and Spring cleaning. Today, we have a Spring Cleaning Checklist to share with you. Also, please feel free to comment with your best spring cleaning tips below!
Spring Cleaning Checklist
First and foremost, start your spring cleaning indoors when the weather is still pretty gross. This will help you have the inside tasks complete in March, and you’ll be able to focus on the outside in April and May. Plus, cleaning up indoors will help reduce the amount of allergens in your home. For more on cleaning to remove allergens click here. Here are some spring cleaning tasks for the inside of your home.
Indoor Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Take down and wash all curtains.
- Have your carpet and upholstery cleaned. (The rented machines really don’t cut it).
- Give the bathroom a really good scrub.
- Clean out closets, and donate clothes you haven’t worn in a year.
- Organize areas that accumulate clutter. These areas that accumulate household junk usually are: attics, basements, garages, closets etc.
- Clean out and disinfect the refrigerator.
- Clean the stove. Use the self-cleaning setting if you have it.
- Wash your interior windows.
- Dust baseboards and ceiling fans.
- Wipe down all cabinet fronts and door handles with disinfectant.
- Clean out front loading washing machines. Those things get really nasty!
- Have your air ducts professionally cleaned, especially if you have bad allergies.
Outdoor Spring Cleaning Checklist
Now, let’s focus our attention on the outdoor spring cleaning checklist tasks. These are fun if you love being outside and getting your hands dirty.
- Clean your gutters. Or, have them cleaned by gutter cleaning professionals. Leave the dangerous ladder work to the pros!
- Pull weeds in garden beds.
- Put down a fresh layer of mulch to prevent weeds and help keep plants from drying out.
- Pressure washing your exterior surfaces that accumulate moss, algae, mildew, pollen, and dirt. These areas usually include: siding, patios, concrete, fences, driveways, decks etc.
- Seal wood surfaces like decks, play sets, shutters, etc.
- Remove yard junk that’s taking up space. Call Fire Dawgs to help! We remove everything. Popular outdoor items are: hot tubs, swing sets, brush, sheds etc.
- Trim back tress, shrubs, and perennials.
- Fertilize grass.
- Plant grass seed if needed.
- Here’s the fun part. Add new perennials and annuals to your flower beds for color!
We hope our Spring Cleaning Checklist has been helpful! Don’t forget to comment below with your spring cleaning tips. Take care!